BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Put pool on an nfs mounted Solaris zfs share

2011-11-21 00:37:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Put pool on an nfs mounted Solaris zfs share
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT rather.puzzling DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:20:03 +1100 (EST)
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Harry Putnam wrote:

> On debian many of the things that would be done by user during an
> install from sources are done for you.  I ended up with the main files
> at /var/lib/backuppc.  which contains a whole pile of some kind of data
> files.  I see them in places like cpool/0/0/0.
>
>   pwd
>  /var/lib/backuppc
>
>   ls
>  cpool  log  pc  pool  trash
>
>   ls cpool/0/0/0
>  00082b8bf118ab8238eab15debddfdd7  000f017d12997dfc67d8e55eab8

Debian's default conf file for demonstration backs up only /etc on
localhost, with the idea that you're meant to change it.  But it works
like that out of the box as soon as you apt-get install backuppc, even if
you haven't configured anything at all yet.

Check perhaps
$Conf{RsyncShareName} in /etc/backuppc/config.pl

'course, best to do this via the web interface, so it picks the right
version of that variable for whatever server you're looking at.

> However, on zfs, it is done transparently and is not really a big
> resource user.
>
> Any thoughts on this subject would be very welcome.

Yeah, if I had a ZFS filesystem (or btrfs), I would do much the same
(having not tried it yet, I don't know that I'd *succeed*).  backuppc is
really quite slow (3MB/s on average on my machines) at backing up a
machine or reconstrucing a given path from a tall tree of incrementals.
Not needing to do incrementals (see the patches on this list for rsync
usage) might be a big win.  I'm sure ZFS is a little quicker than that
given that it's not done in perl.

--
Tim Connors