BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Put pool on an nfs mounted Solaris zfs share

2011-11-18 00:17:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Put pool on an nfs mounted Solaris zfs share
From: Harry Putnam <reader AT newsguy DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:55:00 -0600
I'm just getting started setting up bppc and I want to experiment with
putting the data store on a zfs filesystem. (A solaris host running
Openindiana with zfs file systems)

I'm installing bppc on Debian (wheezy) and thought I'd mount just the
storage pool on an nfs share that resides on the solaris host.

Maybe that isn't the best way... I wondered if there is anyone here
doing something similar (using zfs for the storage pool).

On debian many of the things that would be done by user during an
install from sources are done for you.  I ended up with the main files
at /var/lib/backuppc.  which contains a whole pile of some kind of data
files.  I see them in places like cpool/0/0/0.

  pwd
 /var/lib/backuppc

  ls
 cpool  log  pc  pool  trash

  ls cpool/0/0/0
 00082b8bf118ab8238eab15debddfdd7  000f017d12997dfc67d8e55eab8

  file cpool/0/0/0/*
 cpool/0/0/0/00082b8bf118ab8238eab15debddfdd7: data
 cpool/0/0/0/000f017d12997dfc67d8e55eab8af059: data

I haven't finished the docs yet, maybe it tell what this stuff
is... but for purposes of this post I wondered if it would be wisest
to let the directories and files under /var/lib/backuppc also reside
on the nfs shared zfs filesystem.

Which directory really holds the backups... `pc' or `pool'.

Another thing to consider when thinking of using a zfs host is whether
to let zfs do the compression.  One can set compression on in zfs, but
I suspect it would not be as heavy a compression as backuppc might do.

However, on zfs, it is done transparently and is not really a big
resource user.

Any thoughts on this subject would be very welcome.