BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC to NFS then to tape via DPM

2011-11-07 15:57:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC to NFS then to tape via DPM
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: rbastedo AT gmail DOT com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:55:45 -0600
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Rick Bastedo <rbastedo AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I am planning on mounting the share as the TopDir.
> I'm going to start small and see where it fails, then deal with it.

Umm, is it wise to plan something that you expect to fail under
typical conditions?

> This part sounds like it would be a lot simpler and way more effective to
> tar archive everything we want to store and then copy the results to tape.

Except that (a) restoring it isn't likely to work completely correctly
even if you can copy it, (b) you'll have to restore it to an
identically-configured backuppc instance to access the files, and (c)
you'll probably be in a hurry to access the last-saved db copy but
you'll have to restore the entire backuppc archive first before you
can get it.

> Or - there's a way to tar archive and stream it to the NFS share using
> BackupPC - if I can manage to do that it might just solve problems.

A simple cron job could copy the file in it's usable form to the place
the tape archiver will pick it up.  And backuppc could make its own
copy separately so you'd only need the tape in case of a disaster.

> Whatever happens it has to go straight to the NFS as that's the only storage
> I'll have that's big enough to take anything.

Big disks are cheap these days.  Or use one part of the NFS share for
backuppc, another for what you send to tape.