BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPCNightly- BPCsendEmail- "recipient address not accept

2011-11-07 14:58:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPCNightly- BPCsendEmail- "recipient address not accept
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 13:57:39 -0600
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM, MaryG <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT
com> wrote:
> Doug Lytle wrote: "What does your host entry for that user show. They're
> supposed to have
> an email address as well, for notifications to the user. For example ...[etc]"
>
> Doug: you were right on. This was the problem. My hosts file had "John" as
> the user, not john AT domain1 DOT com. I replaced it and everything works
> fine.
> By the way, this seems like a "bug" in the documentation. Nowhere does it
> mention that the "user" entry has to be the user's e-mail, and not just the
> username.
> (I think I saw somewhere that using apache utils (I am using lighttpd) you
> can let it infer the user's e-mail from the username - is it true?)

Unix/Linux servers traditionally use sendmail, which is infinitely
configurable.  It would default to taking a user name as a local user
on the machine and delivering on the local mailbox for that user, or
following an alias or forwarding directive for that user if he prefers
it to be delivered elsewhere.