BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Odd Ping Failure

2011-11-03 17:28:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Odd Ping Failure
From: Eric Chowanski <eric AT wwek DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:00:15 -0700
I'm seeing backups to a remote host fail from the GUI backup due to
error: "no ping response".  What is odd is that the same or equivalent
ping command _appears_ to work from the server command line.

Setup:
BackupPC v. 3.2.1, on an up to date Scientific Linux 6.1, installed via
yum from EPEL repo.  All Linux machines; backed up via ssh, sudo to run
rsync.  All machines running SELinux in "permissive" mode.  Backuppc
user on server does not have a shell.

Remote site, accessed via dynamic dns, has only two machines both of
which need backups.  SSH port forwarded to remote machine A.  A second
ssh key installed on machine A for backuppc user to ssh to machine B
(without password) so as to "bypass" the need for agent forwarding (as I
could not start backuppc as the backuppc user thus preventing passing on
ssh-agent credentials, AFAIK).

What Works:
Backups of local and remote Machine A.

Remote command execution on machine A by backuppc user - so executing
"ssh -t -t <remotesite> 'ssh <machineB>'" logs backuppc user into
machine B from backup server command line.

Remote ping to remote machine B works from server command line - "ssh
<remotesite> '/bin/ping -c 1 -w 3 <machineB>'" returns a seemingly valid
ping from machine B.

What Does Not Work:
Ping to remote machine B works from GUI as part of a manual backup does
not work.  The backup fails with the error: "no ping response".

What I Tried:
I researched via Google of course; the BackupPC manual.  I also tried
via the GUI a number of different combinations for the ping command that
were equivalent to the command line command that works.

If anyone can point me in the right direction please let me know what
that might be.  And yes, I know that a VPN is probably the way to go but
unfortunately, that is not the highest priority ATM.  Please let me know
what / if other details are relevant.  Thank you for your time.

Eric Chowanski