BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Odd Ping Failure

2011-11-03 20:56:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Odd Ping Failure
From: Eric Chowanski <eric AT wwek DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:54:56 -0700
If you mean the time out I've changed it to 10000, which AFAIK means ten
seconds.  And as you'll see below, I see results on the command line in
about 1 second, so an order of magnitude larger should get the job done
if that's the issue.  But perhaps that's not what you meant.

I've tried the following:

What Works:
from server command line:
ssh <remoteA> "ping -c 1 -w 3 <remoteB>"
This works with both full paths the command only.  It also works with
the "-w" set to 3 or 10.  I'm seeing pings returned from B to A in a a
few tens of ms and from remote A back to my terminal in about a second
(over Internet).

What Does Not Work:
from GUI:
ssh <remoteA> "ping -c 1 -w 10 <remoteB>"
$sshPath <remoteA> "ping -c 1 -w 10 <remoteB>"
$sshPath $host "ping -c 1 -w 10 <remoteB>"

I've also run the above with PingMaxMsec with 500, 1000, 2500, and 10000
and not found any change in the error.

So if you or anyone has any idea what to change to make it always
succeed, I'd sure love to know what that is.

One extra note is that this host config uses a ClientNameAlias as it
needs to first ssh to 'remote A'.  This seems most logical to me as I
can then leave the $hosts variable and simply override selected
commands.  However, I don't believe this should be the issue since I'm
still seeing failures when the ping command uses full paths rather than
variables.

Additionally, I don't see any more indepth debugging info even with
XferLogLevel set to 5.  Thoughts?

Eric