BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] WINS server (nmbd) puzzle

2011-09-06 14:54:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] WINS server (nmbd) puzzle
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:38:18 -0700
--On Monday, September 05, 2011 3:35 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com> wrote:

> I'm setting up BackupPC to back up my Windows clients using rsync. I've
> installed cwRsync to the clients. BackupPC uses nmblookup to find the
> client's IP address given its Windows NETBIOS name.

> nmblookup finds the client by broadcast (the client responds with the
> record) but nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 says there's no record of it. (A query
> for the server's own record finds it, so I know the WINS service is at
> least working to that degree.)

Ah, I needed to look at the man page for nmblookup closer. Whenever you use
-U for WINS queries, you must also use -R to force recursion. (If that's
the case, why would one ever use -U without -R?)

So if you use WINS with BackupPC, you can use "nmblookup -U
wins-server-address -R" as your host lookup function. If BackupPC is
running on the same host as nmbd, use "nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 -R".