BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] WINS server (nmbd) puzzle

2011-09-05 17:50:36
Subject: [BackupPC-users] WINS server (nmbd) puzzle
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:35:08 -0700
My client Windows XP boxes are failing to register with my WINS server
(running nmbd from Samba). I'm puzzled how to figure out what I'm doing
wrong.

I'm setting up BackupPC to back up my Windows clients using rsync. I've
installed cwRsync to the clients. BackupPC uses nmblookup to find the
client's IP address given its Windows NETBIOS name.

I'm distributing the WINS server address via DHCP and see it on the client
using "ipconfig /all". I can run tcpdump on the server (filtering for this
client and the NETBIOS port) and see the register/response sequence at UDP
137:

MULTIHOMED REGISTRATION; REQUEST; UNICAST
REGISTRATION; POSITIVE; RESPONSE; UNICAST
REGISTRATION; REQUEST; UNICAST
REGISTRATION; POSITIVE; RESPONSE; UNICAST

If I signal the nmbd process with SIGHUP to make it dump its table to
nmbd.log, I don't see client in the list. I do see the server and my
Windows Active Directory server's records in the list, but no clients.

nmblookup finds the client by broadcast (the client responds with the
record) but nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 says there's no record of it. (A query
for the server's own record finds it, so I know the WINS service is at
least working to that degree.)

So why is nmbd not remembering client records?

One thing I realized is that the Samba server is configured for one
workgroup, and the client in question is in a different workgroup. Will
nmbd not record records for workstations outside its workgroup?