BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My problems with restore.

2011-08-31 18:02:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My problems with restore.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:01:24 -0500
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Joe Skop <joe.skop AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

>>> - Download singolar files or folders, not bigger of 70/100 Mb (or the
>>> download process hangs), transfer on the new instances and so like
>>> before.
>
>>Hangs?  Is this a network problem?
>
> Yes, maybe some timeouts on the networks... I never investigate so
> much about this not conventional problem.

The quick fix, regardless of the real problem, is probably to run the
web browser on the backuppc server itself or some nearby machine with
a good network connection and download a tar image of what you need
through the browser.  Then use whatever transfer method you think will
be reliable to get the file where you want it and can to the tar
extract.

>>> If I send the recovering via shell:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ssh -x -l USER localhost env LC_ALL=C /bin/tar -x -p
>>> --numeric-owner --same-owner -v -f - -C /tmp
>>> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h SERVER_ORIG -n 134 -s
>>> /mnt/dump -t -r /mysql -p /mysql/ /mysql/backup.log
>>>
>>> /bin/tar: You may not specify more than one `-Acdtrux' option
>>> Try `/bin/tar --help' or `/bin/tar --usage' for more information.
>
>>I don't understand what you are trying to do there.   Can you explain
>>where you are  when you issue that command and where you expect the
>>parts to execute?  I assume you want the output of BackupPC_tarCreate
>>on the backuppc server piped into a tar extract (which probably needs
>>to run as root) on the host you are restoring, but that command won't
>>do it.
>
> >From the web interface, I select a host, "Backup browse for HOST", I
> browse the folders, I select a example file, i press "Restore selected
> files", I go to "Restore Options for HOST", I choose the 1st option
> "Option 1: Direct Restore", I select "localhost" (that is the server
> that hosts the backuppc", I choose the share and the dir.
> Next screen "Are you sure?", the positions are:
>
> Original file/dir
> HOST:/mnt/dump/mysql/backup.log
>
> Will be restored to
> localhost:/tmp/mysql/backup.log
> If I press "Restore", after a few seconds I have the message on the
> Error: "restore failed: Tar exited with error 65280 () status".

Did you set up ssh access to localhost in the same way as other hosts
(i.e. so the backuppc user can ssh commands as root)?  And if the keys
are set up, have you done a test run to answer the prompt you get on
the first ssh connection attempt?

> If I try manually, by shell, by the correct user etc etc, to do the
> same commandline, I have the error " /bin/tar: You may not specify
> more than one `-Acdtrux' opion ...".
>
> Hope now is more clear the path I follow.

No, still not clear on the shell side.  The tar extract command and
the BackupPC_tarCreate commands are two separate things.  You can pipe
the output of a BackupPC_tarCreate to the input of a tar extract, and
you can use ssh to make it happen on a different host, but I don't see
the pipe setup in your shell command.