BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recompressing individual files in pool

2011-07-05 17:01:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recompressing individual files in pool
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:16:16 -0400
Kelly Sauke wrote at about 09:21:28 -0500 on Friday, July 1, 2011:
 > BackupPC folks,
 >
 > I have a need to modify certain files from backups that I have in
 > BackupPC.  My pool is compressed and I've found I can decompress single
 > files using BackupPC_zcat.  I can then modify those files as needed,
 > however I cannot figure out how to re-compress those modified files to
 > be put back into the pool.  Is there a tool available that can do that?
 > Is there a better way to go about modifying certain files within my
 > backups?

To add to the issues that Holger and I have discussed, you would also
need to be careful to set the first byte correctly (which among other
things determines whether there is a rsync checksum envelope and if
rsync checksums are there then either drop them (and change the first
bye) or recalculate them.

The bottom line if you haven't figured it out by now is that what
you are asking is not only not simple but potentially even not well
defined given the nature of pooling and incremental backups