BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can you run multiple copies?

2011-06-17 18:29:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can you run multiple copies?
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:28:52 +0100
Hi,
I run backuppc on an email cluster (imap, dovecot, redhat crm,lvm,multipath)
serving almost 2000 accounts, due to performance issues i've created 5 hosts
pointing to the same IP.
one host will backup system files
one host will backup /home/[a-d]*
one host will backup /home/[e-i]*
one host will backup /home/[t-z]*

i've also setup the server to allow all hosts to run at the same time, this way
i can backup all the file in a very fast way.
The servers are enterprise class with SAN and the bottleneck was the small
files on the imap server storage that would take ages to copy even in such
hardware.
This setup save me about 8 hours in a full backup and 3-4 on a incremental.
The email server doesn't suffer from significant slow downs during backup.

check rsync inclusion/exclusion rules and setup accordingly on your setup.
Cheers,
Pedro

On Friday 17 June 2011 20:03:10 Robert Augustyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I run multiple copies of backuppc on the same server?
>
> Thanks,

Pedro M. S. Oliveira
IT Consultant
Email: pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com