BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive to ftp?

2011-06-10 10:56:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive to ftp?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:55:16 -0500
On 6/10/2011 9:06 AM, Joe Konecny wrote:
> I have backuppc running and tested and it works great but our company
> requires offsite storage of backups.  Someone used to take a tape
> home each night when we used Amanda.  I've read the docs on the archive
> function and it says "BackupPC supports archiving to removable media.
> For users that require offsite backups, BackupPC can create archives
> that stream to tape devices, or create files of specified sizes to fit
> onto cd or dvd media."  I would like to send these archives to an ftp
> site.  Is there any docs on how to do something like this?  Also is
> there docs on how to do a restore from an archive?

First be sure you understand what the archiving feature does.  It will
create a tar image of the latest backup of a host (with incrementals
merged with the previous full as necessary), optionally compressed and
split into chunks. You can restore these without needing backuppc (just
zcat the chunks and pipe to tar), but they don't provide earlier history
and don't have any pooling of duplicate data.  If this is really what
you want offsite, you could have backuppc write to a directory (possibly
nfs mounted from a different machine, but something local), then rsync
or ftp the resulting files to the offsite location. If you want finer
control of the archive generation, you can script your own with
BackupPC_tarCreate piped through gzip and split.