BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Root disk grows linearly 1GB between 07h-09 and then drops back - each morning

2011-06-03 09:01:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Root disk grows linearly 1GB between 07h-09 and then drops back - each morning
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 08:59:39 -0400
Sean Boran wrote at about 09:59:30 +0200 on Friday, June 3, 2011:
 > *Each* morning my root disk free space drops by one 1GB, starting at 07:00
 > linearly until 09:00.
 > At 09:00, the 1GB is suddenly freed up again.
 > ...and I'm trying to figure out why.
 >
 > - The server is dedicated for backuppc.
 > - /var/lib/backuppc is a separate file system.
 > - I do not see any cron jobs running, or syslog entries

How do you know no cron jobs are running?
Many distros include cron-like jobs in /etc/cron.xxxx heirarchies or
there could be daemons that run then.

Seems to me you should be looking at the output of something like 'ps
aux' to see what is running then and compare with before/after that
window.

My suspicion would be 'updatedb'
Any backuppc processes running/linking at that time? (despite what the
log says)

 > In the backuppc log, Backuppc_night runs at 1:08, nothing around 7h, apart
 > from the hourly wakeup.
 >
 > I seen that trash clean runs every 5 mins, but is there any other internal
 > process in backuppc that runs daily like this?

Not other than BackupPC_nightly or individual dumps.