BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and MooseFS?

2011-05-20 08:06:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and MooseFS?
From: Mike <ispbuilder AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 09:05:11 -0300
On 11-05-18 05:21 PM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 05/17 01:25 , Mike wrote:
>> Has anyone tried using BackupPC and MooseFS (http://www.moosefs.org/)?
> Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty cool project.

and from initial appearances / testing, it runs pretty darn well, too.
We only have ~2T on our test environment so far over 3 machines, so it's
certainly nothing large.

I haven't tried backuppc on it yet, but storing mail in maildir folder
works well, and virtual machine images work well.

being able to say "I want to have 2 copies of anything in this directory
and 3 copies of anything in this directory" is very nice. So is being
able to put half your servers in one building and half in another.
Failing a disk and watching all the unmet goals (goal = min # of copies
of something) get resolved is fun as well.

Now, to convert the media machine at home...