BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and MooseFS?

2011-05-17 13:24:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and MooseFS?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:23:20 -0400
Michael Stowe wrote at about 11:57:42 -0500 on Tuesday, May 17, 2011:

 > > Has anyone tried using BackupPC and MooseFS (http://www.moosefs.org/)?
 > >

 > No, but it seems like a *really* bad idea -- the concept of slow, off-box,
 > redundant storage isn't a really good fit with the concepts of pooling and
 > linking.
 >
 > Since it's fuse-based, there's the possibility it doesn't support
 > hard-linking at all, which would make it completely unfeasible.  (I don't
 > know, it's not obvious what it supports from the documentation.)

The first paragraph on the page linked by the OP says:
        Symbolic links (file names pointing to target files, not necessarily
        on MooseFS) and hard links (different names of files which refer to
        the same data on MooseFS)

So at least it supports hard links...

Your points about speed may very well be true...