BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Not able to use the backuppc account in freebsd

2011-05-03 17:05:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Not able to use the backuppc account in freebsd
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 23:03:57 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2011-05-03 15:14:08 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Not able
to use the backuppc account in freebsd]:
> I'm surprised that sudo doesn't honor the user's shell.

really? It's really not surprising. The semantics of sudo is "allow executing
/exact/path/to/some/command as user X to user Y, possibly without password",
not "allow executing <something> that /some/random/shell would do when you
type $some_random_string at its prompt", so sudo would use an execve() system
call, not a user's login shell.

> su can override it with a command line option, but the issue that prompted
> this thread is that the linux/bsd flavors of su take different options.

As would be explained in the corresponding fine (tm) manual pages. I'm sure
the manual pages of 'sudo' would likewise explain whether there are
differences in its options on Linux vs. BSD (which, I'm guessing, there
probably aren't, but that's just a guess). So, the generic answer to the
original question is: RTFM, or, if that's too complicated, "use a command
with identical syntax".

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: I fully agree in advance with any responses.