BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The usual questions looking for better ansers

2011-05-02 11:20:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The usual questions looking for better ansers
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 10:19:12 -0500
On 04/29 10:18 , Richard Shaw wrote:
> 1. On the server, which is a Xeon Quad 2GHz machine, I've got a rsync
> over ssh dump that's been running for over 12 hours which is about
> 300GB into a 800GB share. Perl seems to be the bottleneck on the
> server and ssh is only using about 20-30% of one core on the client so
> I'm assuming changing the ssh cypher will not help.

My experience is that changing the SSH cipher does sometimes help. I haven't
tested extensively; but it seems that sometimes it helps and sometimes it
doesn't make any difference.

I tend to use the following when backing up over slow links.

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -C -o CompressionLevel=9 -c blowfish-cbc -q
-x -l rsyncbakup $host $rsyncPath $argList+';

(The '-l rsyncbakup' is because I have the clients set up with an SSH key
that does a sudo before executing the rsync command on the client side; so
no ssh-as-root needed).

Over a local link I'd remove the '-o CompressionLevel=9'; since with modern
local networks compression actually slows things down.

Other people have reported success with other ciphers. I don't remember
which one off the top of my head.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator