BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restrict machine to do full backups Friday night and incremental on weekdays?

2011-03-31 10:32:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restrict machine to do full backups Friday night and incremental on weekdays?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:30:10 -0400
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 10:03:58 -0400 on Thursday, March 31, 2011:
 > "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 03/30/2011
 > 04:11:05
 > PM:
 >
 > > Wouldn't a better/more robust solution be to define the blackout
 > > period for that machine to exclude everything except for the weekend
 > > -- or everything but Friday night if you just want a single Friday
 > > night backup.
 > >
 > > Just use a host-specific config file
 >
 > I do not believe that will work:  because unless something's changed in
 > 3.2, you can't have separate blackout periods for incrementals and fulls.
 > Therefore, your incrementals won't run!  :)

Ahhhh my mistake -- I missed the part about still wanting to do
incrementals...

 > That would actually be a somewhat nice feature, but it's really just a
 > hack to allow people to force-schedule BackupPC.  You can achieve the same
 > thing via cron jobs if you really really want to.  Except for archives,
 > which aren't schedulable under BackupPC at *all* (grrr), I've found that
 > simply letting BackupPC manage itself works fine.  It either self-adjusts
 > (because it just runs out of time and a backup might be skipped for a
 > day), or I manually adjust it by starting a full backup on a different
 > day.
 >
 > Timothy J. Massey

That being said, I wonder whether maybe BackupPC should incorporate a
cron-like forced scheduling option alongside the existing more
adaptive algorithm.

It seems like there are enough people that have one reason or other to
have chron-like scheduling and it seems klugey and in a sense
deprecated to have to disable normal BackupPC scheduling and use a
separately track cron table to schedule backups. Using 'cron' will
never feel ideal to me so long as you have to basically keep the
scheduling information outside of the BackupPC config files and merge
it in with all your other cron jobs. Since BackupPC already wakes up
every hour anyway and since that would seem to be sufficient
granularity for nearly all use cases, it shouldn't be hard to build it
into BackupPC.

Personally though I don't have any need for cron-like scheduling, but
I am becoming convinced that others might benefit from such a
capability.