BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Upgrading is changing many thins in config.pl?!

2011-02-07 09:51:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Upgrading is changing many thins in config.pl?!
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:49:07 -0500
Why don't you just make a copy of the config file(s) and let apt
proceed normally and then restore the old config files after the
backup.
Then if anything breaks when you run with the old configs you can fix
it based on the error messages.
But based on my recollection, most of the changes were additions of
new variables or minor grammar/typo corrections, so it may just work
as-is.

What I did was to do a 'diff -ruw' between my edited 3.1.0 config file
and the original virgin 3.1.0 config file.
Then I applied that as a *patch* to the new 3.2.0 config file. I did
this across versions (3.1.0 --> 3.2.0) and across Distros/architecture
(Fedora 12/X86 --> Debian Lenny/armel). I think of several dozen
config changes only 2 hunks failed to patch and it was pretty obvious
how to fix them.