BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] xxx is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address...

2011-02-01 19:03:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] xxx is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address...
From: itismike <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:01:49 -0500
Itismike said:

I learned that nmblookup -A <IP_address> is supposed to return a hostname, and
it does not.
----

Ryan Blake said:
Mike,

Have you checked your reverse DNS PTR records? In other words, did you do
an nslookup on 192.168.1.117 to ensure it points back to the host? If
that's not correct, try correcting it and see what happens. For some
reason, I remember having a similar problem and it ended up being a reverse
DNS problem.

~Ryan
----
No, it doesn't point back to the host:

$ nslookup 192.168.1.117
Server:         192.168.1.1
Address:        192.168.1.1#53
** server can't find 117.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

I don't know enough about DNSMasq to know where it keeps reverse DNS PTR
records. Sounds like more studying for me. :-/