BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Clustering Backuppc

2011-01-18 00:36:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Clustering Backuppc
From: Ski Kacoroski <kacoroski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:33:21 -0800
Jonathan,

I have set up a "cluster" where I have 10 backuppc servers (backup01 -
10), each one connected to LUN on a SAN.  I run 4 streams on each server
with no problems and backup over 1500 Mac workstations.  In my testing,
I found I got a bigger bang for the buck using smaller 1U single proc
servers than a big quad processor server.

I have automated my backups with a few scripts and nfs mounts.  First
backup01 has the roles of BackupPC server and Master server so it mounts
the luns of all the other servers.  The other servers just mount their
own datastore and the backup01 datastore.  Each datastore has
directories for backuppc, backuppc_etc.  In addition, the backup01
datastore has a commons directory where scripts are kept.

All the Macs are in a database that gets updated by them when their IP
changes.  So the process runs like this...

Run master script on backup01 only (run hourly):
- get list of hostnames and current ips from database
- skip names and hosts that should not be backed up
- if the host is not already in the master host file add to the server
in the cluster with the least number of hosts on it (e.g.
/etc/backuppc/hosts)

Run the local script on each server(run hourly, 5 minutes after master)
- get list of hostnames and current ips from database
- iterate over /etc/backuppc/hosts and create /etc/hosts with hostnames
and ips
- if hostname in /etc/hosts, but not in database, send email to me to
clean up
- run expect script to log in to host and accept machine key

This set up has been running for close to 5 years now with minimal
maintenance.  If folks are interested in more information, please
consider attending my class at SCALE09 in Los Angeles on February 25th:

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/presentations/backuppc

cheers,

ski

On 01/17/2011 08:23 AM, Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> We are about to deploy a backup system for a large number of clients
> (~400), The backupPC server will be a good machine (4 CPUs, loads of
> RAM) but I'm still concerned about the time the full backup are taking
> and the number of imultaneous backups.
>
> To adress this, I'm considering a setup of N servers, connected to the
> same file system (through GFS for instance) wich would be the backuppc
> data directory.
>
> ------------                 |--------------------|
> | Server1  | ----------------|
> ------------                 |
> ------------                 |   One File System
> | Server2  |-----------------|   (GFS, OCFS, ...)
> ------------                 |
> ------------                 |
> | ServerN  |-----------------|
> ------------                 |--------------------|
>

> 2 possibilities :
> a. Each backuppc server would be independant, having it's set of clients
> to backup. They are just storing everything in the same pool.
> b. All servers share the same set of clients, but I can't see how this
> would be possible
>
> Did anyone setup something like that ? Is it theoretically possible ?
> Actualy, I see some problems with this settings, file systems
>
> Maybe there is a more clever way to build a backuppc cluster. Any
> suggestion ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Jonathan

> Protect Your Site and Customers from Malware Attacks
> Learn about various malware tactics and how to avoid them. Understand
> malware threats, the impact they can have on your business, and how you
> can protect your company and customers by using code signing.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, kacoroski AT gmail DOT com, 206-501-9803
or ski98033 on most IM services