BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Clustering Backuppc

2011-01-17 11:25:44
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Clustering Backuppc
From: Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer AT univ-brest DOT fr>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:23:37 +0100
Hi list,

We are about to deploy a backup system for a large number of clients
(~400), The backupPC server will be a good machine (4 CPUs, loads of
RAM) but I'm still concerned about the time the full backup are taking
and the number of imultaneous backups.

To adress this, I'm considering a setup of N servers, connected to the
same file system (through GFS for instance) wich would be the backuppc
data directory.

------------                 |--------------------|
| Server1  | ----------------|
------------                 |
------------                 |   One File System
| Server2  |-----------------|   (GFS, OCFS, ...)
------------                 |
------------                 |
| ServerN  |-----------------|
------------                 |--------------------|

2 possibilities :
a. Each backuppc server would be independant, having it's set of clients
to backup. They are just storing everything in the same pool.
b. All servers share the same set of clients, but I can't see how this
would be possible

Did anyone setup something like that ? Is it theoretically possible ?
Actualy, I see some problems with this settings, file systems

Maybe there is a more clever way to build a backuppc cluster. Any
suggestion ?

Thanks !

Jonathan
--