BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disaster Recovery Configuration (Having a "Hot Spare" BackupPC server)

2011-01-13 03:13:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disaster Recovery Configuration (Having a "Hot Spare" BackupPC server)
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:11:07 +0100
Adam Goryachev napsal(a):
> On 13/01/11 07:54, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>> Ryan,
>
>> You're doing exactly what I'm doing, except that you want to rsync just
>> differences between the live and spare machines. Unfortunately, you
>> can't do so in a reasonable period of time, due to the problem with
>> rsync and lots of hard links.
>
>> My spare machines are connected by dedicated gigabit fiber in buildings
>> 3 km apart. Once a week, I take an LVM snapshot, then use dd+ssh to copy
>> the entire 1-TB filesystem image to the spare. This takes 14 hours. It's
>> still faster than using rsync.
>
> I'm sure I've seen another backuppc user take advantage of NBD or eNBD
> or whatever it is called these days... It essentially takes you're
> remote HDD and makes it look like a local drive (I suppose you could use
> ATAoE or iSCSI to do a similar thing perhaps, though with NBD the remote
> drive could be a md RAID array or whatever block device (or file) you like).
>
> Then just add the remote device as a RAID1 mirror with the live system,
> and you have a real-time backup of the backuppc server.
>
> I do this with a file server over gigabit ethernet, and it has worked
> very well for years...

Hi,

Do you just fully synchronize and detach the external mirror properly? I
am afraid filesystem caches in the kernel could cause dirty filesystem
on the external mirror in case of the primary backuppc server crash.
Large partitions with tens of millions files/hardlinks take very long to
fsck, in case of xfs almost impossible since xfsrepair takes up all
available RAM+swap and dies.

Therefore I am not really convinced about the continuous mirror-backup.
But I may be wrong (which is often the case :) )

Regards,

Pavel.