BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disaster Recovery Configuration (Having a "Hot Spare" BackupPC server)

2011-01-12 16:08:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disaster Recovery Configuration (Having a "Hot Spare" BackupPC server)
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:48:05 +0100
Dne 12.1.2011 21:25, Ryan Blake napsal(a):
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been looking around for a solution to backing up the BackupPC
> server to a "hot spare" BackupPC server but haven't really found
> anything concrete.
>
> What I'm basically trying to do is this:
>
> I am currently using "dd" to make an exact duplicate of the server's
> configuration on another machine (that is also exactly the same).  Once
> this finishes, I plan to put the drives into the "spare" computer and
> place it offsite at another location that has a direct fiber connection
> from the main site where the original BackupPC server is.
>
> What I'd like to do is change the hostname, IP, and have the
> other server running without having the actual "BackupPC" process
> running but installed.  Then, using rsync (or some other recommended
> method), I would like to have the data copied over from the main server
> to the "hot spare" that is sitting at the alternate location without
> BackupPC running.  From my understanding and logic, if I do this, I
> should be able to easily start up BackupPC if a disaster did happen and
> be able to access the files just as if I was using that machine to do
> backups on.  So, I would like to have rsync* mirror the main server to
> the "hot spare" so if files are deleted off the main server, the process
> would delete the files automatically during a nightly run.
>
> So, my question is: What is the best solution to do this?  I am assuming
> rsync since I've seen quite a few posts about it (and to be sure to use
> -H).  However, I was hoping someone would have an entire "command" I
> would need to run and the best way to go about doing this since the
> backup server will be assumingly still building backups overnight.  I
> also don't want to be retransferring unchanged files, only the ones that
> have changed (just like BackupPC does with the clients now).  I've also
> heard someone mention "storebackup" but I'm not exactly convinced it's
> any better than rsync.
>
> Any assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ~Ryan

We are duplicating backuppc partition to external drives by
synchronizing a SW RAID1 mirror. When write-intent bitmaps of mdadm are
used, only changed parts of the partition are copied over. If you want
to have the drive in another machine, perhaps iSCSI or ATAoE over a
gigabit line would do fine.

Our backuppc installation has tens of millions hardlinks and any
filesystem-level duplication is technically unfeasible.

Good luck,

Pavel.