BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NTFS symbolic links

2011-01-01 18:35:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NTFS symbolic links
From: Denis Jedig <dj AT syneticon DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 00:32:08 +0100
Am 01.01.2011 21:59, schrieb Erik Hjertén:

> Thanks Denis, but I actually mean symbolic links under NTFS
> create with e.g "mklink [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] link target"
> [...]
> Just excluding the links is not the best solution as I really
> want to back them up, I have a few thousand of them so it's hard
> work to re-create them manually in case of horror/disaster.

Unfortunately, saving NTFS metadata with rsync has always been a
pain in the ass, as the protocol simply was not designed for most
of it. While symbolic links and junctions would fit in rather
easily, to my best knowledge they are not implemented.

You could build some cludge using dir /S /AL (which will give you
symbolic links as well as junctions in the output, but
unfortunately it will come in a way which is poorly suitable for
scripting it back into shape. Alternatively, you could write some
powershell lines using Get-ChildItem, checking for the
ReparsePoint attribute and using Get-ReparsePoint for retrieving
the destination. The people from the Windows PowerShell
newsgroups/lists should be able to help you here.