BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] uncompress pool

2010-12-30 14:07:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] uncompress pool
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:04:43 -0500
Denis Jedig wrote at about 20:57:16 +0100 on Sunday, December 26, 2010:
 > Hi list,
 >
 > I am looking for a way of converting a compressed pool (cpool) to
 > an uncompressed pool (pool).
 >
 > I know about BackupPC_compressPool, which does exactly the
 > reverse transition, however, currently we are stuck with a
 > compressed pool and would like to use block-level-deduplication
 > features (we have some database backups which tend to grow and
 > produce different files with mostly the same content at each
 > backup) of the underlying file system (zfs), which will not
 > perform well on compressed files.
 >
 > Any ideas?

Conceptually, I don't think it would be that hard...
1. Run BackupPC_zcat on the cpool and pipe output to the corresponding
   pool tree
2. Change the 'compress' entry in each relevant 'backupinfo' file in
   the pc tree to '0'
3. Change the config.pl file to use the pool (i.e. no compression)

Maybe there is more to do, but that should be the basics...