BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?

2010-12-21 22:24:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:05:41 -0500
gimili <gimili17 AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 12/21/2010 04:55:36 PM:

> Thanks Timothy for the great info and advice.  Much appreciated!  So
> using the restore from the web interface and rsync should work
> reliably if left over night with 200GB?

Given what you said (a small folder restored correctly), then yes, a larger folder should work equally as well.

> I can't see any progress
> bar so it is hard to tell if is even working.

There is no progress bar, but you should be able to use the Status page (the opening page) to see if the transfer is still running.

>  It works with one
> small directory.  How long should it take before I start seeing
> folders created?

Rsync requires some setup in the beginning (creating a file list), then it starts transferring files.  So a pause in the beginning for a big host might be expected, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes or so.

Without knowing anything about your hardware on both ends (and in between), it's hard to be confident about anything.  But again, if a small folder works, the entire host should work as well, it'll just take longer.

Like I said, check the Status page and make sure that the processes are there.  If you want, you can probably check the BackupPC machine to see what it's doing:  do a "vmstat 1" and make sure that you see large numbers under BO (Block Out).  That's as close as you get to a progress bar!  :)

Timothy J. Massey
Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.