BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?

2010-12-21 15:21:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:02:48 -0500
Gimili <gimili17 AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 12/21/2010 01:28:27 PM:

> How do I restore 200GB fast?  I have googled but can't find any
> simple tips/steps.  I did the rsync restore but it seems to be
> taking forever so I cancelled it.  Now I am downloading the tar at
> 10mb/s which it taking a long time.
>
> Any tips or advice much appreciated.
>
> How long should this take using 1000nics?

Gigabit NICs should be able to move roughly 70MB/s *IF* everything else can handle that:  backup computer's hard drive, CPU and RAM;  network switch;  destination hard drive, CPU and RAM.  (Yes, theoretically it should be more, but good luck with getting that outside of the lab.)  If you're talking a single IDE spindle talking to a single IDE spindle, it's usually more like 30MB/s.  10MB/s seems low, but not terribly unusual, sadly.

Tar's needs are pretty low, but if the pool is compressed (or if you selected a compressed TAR), that could make a big difference.  Rsync isn't going to give you any performance boost on a restore, assuming you're restoring to an empty folder:  *nothing* is going to give you a performance boost, really.  You're simply going to have to wait.

Even at 10MB/s (you wrote "mb/s", which is wrong either way, but I'm assuming you meant MegaBYTES per second, not MegaBITS per second), it will only take about 6 hours to restore.  By the time you figure out how to make it faster, it'll probably already be done!

Not to make you feel worse, but this is why you fully test a backup system INCLUDING FULL RESTORES before you put it into production.  I like to say you don't have a backup until you restore that backup.  Taking the backup is only half the process...

Something to think about when it comes to cloud-based backups.  We all know that with the magic of pooling and rsync, the first backup might take a week, but future backups will only take a few minutes.  Unfortunately, that first *restore* is going to take a week, too...  Can you wait that long?

Timothy J. Massey
Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.