BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC on low end devices

2010-12-15 21:57:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on low end devices
From: Rahul Amaram <amaramrahul AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:25:17 +0530
Hi,
Let me first admit something. I have been looking for a decent backup
solution in linux for qutie sometime and backuppc is just awesome. Great
work by the developers to get out such a wonderful product.

Now coming to the main part. I've recently configured BackuPC on my
WRT-610N router and even wrote an article on it
http://rahul.amaram.name/blog/2009/12/28/backuppc-lighttpd-dd-wrt
(perhaps this could be added to backuppc wiki??). While everthing works
fine, I've noticed that occasionally the router hangs.

I am fully aware that BackupPC is not intended to run on such low end
devices. But I was just thinking that backuppc running on NAS devices
may be quite often a requirement by home users. While I know that the
developers would not be interested in optimizing backuppc for such
low-end devices, I'd still like to ask if there are ways to optimize
BackupPC resource usage without much development effort.

For example, I think that the BackupPC pooling mechanism while very
useful is resource-intensive. Is it possible to disable BackupPC pooling
or add such an option to BackupPC in the future releases?

Regards,
Rahul.