BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sanity check re: pooling.

2010-12-07 06:35:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sanity check re: pooling.
From: gregwm <backuppc-users AT whitleymott DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:32:32 -0600
hmm, i rather expect the pool check doesn't follow all the transfers,
rather is interleaved with the transfers, if i'm right the temporary
ballooning you describe should not occur other than a file at a time.

On 2010-12-06, Ed McDonagh <ed.mcdonagh AT rmh.nhs DOT uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:47 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>> Hi!  I've got two servers, each around a TB, that I'm backing up with
>> BackupPC.  (No, not for "real" backups, but to be able to not have to
>> recall tapes when someone deletes a file.  Darn users.)  I'm planning on
>> merging the two Windows servers into one Linux box serving via Samba.
>> Assuming pooling works the way I think it does, there shouldn't be any
>> significant increase in needed disk space, should there?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Ken
>>

> I think you are right, in the medium term.
>
> In the short term, if the host is different then everything will be new
> and will be transferred over to the backup machine.
>
> Once there, it will be checked against the pool and each file will be
> replaced with a hard link to the pooled version from the original
> server, therefore you'll eventually get all the space back to what it
> was with two servers.
>
> Ed
> #########################################################################
> Attention:
> recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary, confidential and/or
> privileged information and should not be copied, disclosed, distributed,
> retained or used by any other party. If you are not an intended recipient
> please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including
> attachments and copies).
>
> The statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
> author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Royal Marsden NHS
> Foundation Trust. The Trust does not take any responsibility for the
> statements and opinions of the author.
>
> Website: http://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk
> #########################################################################

"We know how to transform this world to reduce our impact on nature by
several fold, how to provide meaningful, dignified living-wage jobs
for all who seek them, and how to feed, clothe, and house every person
on earth.  What we don't know is how to remove those in power, those
whose ignorance of biology is matched only by their indifference to
human suffering."       - Paul Hawken
"We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house
for fuel when we should be using Natures inexhaustible sources of
energy — sun, wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar
energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil
and coal run out before we tackle that." - Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison