BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Installing Backuppc

2010-09-16 01:24:48
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Installing Backuppc
From: p2ranger <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:38:06 -0400
Recently heard about Backuppc on a podcast and wanted to give it a try. I am
having problems getting it to install. I've tried following the instructions on
the documentation site as well as following a blog post someone wrote, but I'm
not getting very far.

I first tried installing from these instructions:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#step_1__getting_backuppc

I did the sudo apt-get install backuppc. It gave me the dpkg screen to set the
web server. I chose apache 2.  I then tried going to the URL for the web
browser http://mylocalipaddress/backuppc and then I got a page not found error.

I then found this site

http://taksuyama.com/?page_id=6

Tried adding the dependencies that it listed, still nothing. So I did sudo
apt-get remove backuppc and tried following this site's instructions from the
beginning. It gave me an error about already having a backuppc user already
created so I removed that user and began following those instructions again.
Now, I get the following when I try to install backuppc:

sudo apt-get install backuppc
&#91;sudo&#93; password for jason&#58;
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
Reading state information... Done
backuppc is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up backuppc &#40;3.1.0-4ubuntu1.1&#41; ...
Module cgi already enabled
&nbsp;* Starting backuppc...
2010-09-15 22&#58;36&#58;48 Can't create a test hardlink between a file in
/var/lib/backuppc/pc and /var/lib/backuppc/cpool.&nbsp; Either these are
different file systems, or this file system doesn't support hardlinks, or these
directories don't exist, or there is a permissions problem, or the file system
is out of inodes or full.&nbsp; Use df, df -i, and ls -ld to check each of
these possibilities. Quitting...
invoke-rc.d&#58; initscript backuppc, action "start" failed.
dpkg&#58; error processing backuppc &#40;--configure&#41;&#58;
&nbsp;subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing&#58;
&nbsp;backuppc
E&#58; Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code &#40;1&#41;

I uninstalled and then deleted the directories mentioned and removed the
backuppc user again, and once again began following this site's instructions
again and stil get the same error.

I'm completely lost. I thought i had followed the instructions exactly, but the
linux gods are not smiling on me. I want to try this program out, but can't
even get it started. I even created a vm in vmware fusion with a fresh install
of ubuntu on it. It still wouldn't let me pull up the webpage.

Thanks for any help

Jason