BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why does backuppc transfer files already in the pool

2010-08-29 12:26:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why does backuppc transfer files already in the pool
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:23:45 +0200
also sprach Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> [2010.08.29.1814 +0200]:
> I haven't followed the code, but I think the idea is that if the file - or
> maybe
> the difference from the existing guessed match - fits in memory it doesn't
> need
> to write a tmp file before writing to the pool.  I'm not sure if the rsync
> protocol allows switching from 'no file' on the receiving side to having
> checksums to match in mid-file even if the initial filename is correct and
> not a
> hash collision.

Maybe someone who understands the code could give a brief overview
of what exactly is happening per-file.

I would volunteer to update the documentation with this information
(submit a patch).

> Only on bandwidth-restricted connections.  On a LAN you can
> usually transfer as fast as the remote can read the file anyway.

It's still a waste of resources in that it loads the network,
I think.

"it is the mark of an educated mind
 to be able to entertain a thought
 without accepting it."
                                                        -- aristoteles

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net