BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Why does backuppc transfer files already in the pool

2010-08-28 11:21:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Why does backuppc transfer files already in the pool
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc users list <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:18:46 +0200
Hello,

Using rsync+ssh as my transfer method, I find that backuppc, when
backing up a new host, transfers all files, even if specific files
are already in the pool.

The docs[0] say:

  As BackupPC_tarExtract extracts the files from smbclient or tar,
  or as rsync or ftp runs, it checks each file in the backup to see
  if it is identical to an existing file from any previous backup of
  any PC. It does this without needed to write the file to disk. If
  the file matches an existing file, a hardlink is created to the
  existing file in the pool.

0. http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#backuppc_operation

This is in contrast to what I am experiencing. Is backuppc fetching
the file into memory to compare it with the pool from there?

Thinking about it, this is what needs to happen because it needs to
have the file to determine its hash.

But shouldn't it just need to transfer the 1st and 8th 128k chunk to
determine the hashing? Or is is that hashing function only used once
the whole file has been transferred?

for years, we have thought that a million monkeys typing at a million
typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of shakespeare.
today, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net