BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] slow backup of new PC

2010-08-13 17:46:42
Subject: [BackupPC-users] slow backup of new PC
From: "Chris Baker" <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:44:29 -0500
I have a computer that is about three months old. It has Windows 7 64-bit.
For some reason, the throughput on backups is quite poor. It's about 1.5
MB/sec. It has a 1 Gbps network card. Network switches and BackupPC server
also run at 1 Gpbs.

Other PC's on my network get 4 or 5 MB/sec. Some of these PC's are four
years older and have 100 MBps network cards. Some even have IDE hard drives.

I am using smb on everything. I am naturally curious as to why this one
machine does so poorly.

This machine was purchased in a batch of four machines. The other three PC's
also run Win7-64 and have the same hardware. Their throughput is pretty
good.

The only change I can think of is that I did change the hard drive in this
slower PC from a 250 GB to a 500 GB drive.

Chris Baker
cbaker AT intera DOT com
512-425-2006