BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Btrfs, hardlinks, and BackupPC...

2010-08-02 09:53:06
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Btrfs, hardlinks, and BackupPC...
From: "Ken D'Ambrosio" <ken AT jots DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:34:29 -0400 (EDT)
Hey, all.  I just did a quick search, and haven't noticed any hits on
"btrfs" in the subject lines of any e-mail here.  Which makes me wonder if
anyone has noticed it.  Btrfs only supports 256 (or is it 512?) hardlinks
per directory; that's a hard-coded value that is unlikely to change, as it
would require an on-disk format change.  I'm fairly certain that BackupPC
will blow past that for a directory with lots of static entries, no?  If
so, should BackupPC
- Figure out if it's on a btrfs filesystem, and, if so,
 - switch from hardlinks to COW "clones"?

COW clones are a different mechanism entirely than a hardlink; however,
insofar as BackupPC is concerned, I think they might well be considered
identical.  It's my understanding that BackupPC only hardlinks static
files that won't change; in this scenario, I believe a COW clone would
work just the same.

If there's a flaw in my logic, I'd deeply appreciate someone pointing it
out -- I'm not claiming to be an expert in either BackupPC or btrfs, but
believe I've outlined (correctly, even) the issues involved.

If nobody else is interested, I'm willing to take a stab at this, though
my spare cycles for the next month or two are asymptotically approaching
0.

Thanks,

-Ken

believed to be clean.