BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] ssh+rsync restore via Web UI hanging (when destination files exist?), ssh+tar seems to work

2010-07-15 18:58:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] ssh+rsync restore via Web UI hanging (when destination files exist?), ssh+tar seems to work
From: Adam Monsen <haircut AT gmail DOT com>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:55:09 -0700
I noticed some issues with rsync+ssh restores fired off from the Web UI.
I was trying to restore a backup of machine x to machine y. The problem
seemed most reliably reproducible when transferring more than 10 MB of
data, and/or when the destination files already existed.

I found a couple of other posts that seemed related:
http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/BackupPC-users/2008-11/msg00056.html
http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/BackupPC-users/2010-04/msg00231.html

When I changed XferMethod to "tar", restoring worked.

I'm using backuppc 3.1.0-9ubuntu1 as packaged with Ubuntu 10.04, running
on a 32-bit Amazon EC2 server. The backup source and destination
machines are Ubuntu 10.04, running on Amazon 64-bit EC2 servers.

Has anyone looked further into this issue? Even if not, hopefully this
post will be useful as a workaround for folks running into the same
issue.