BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SMB limitations?

2010-07-07 10:40:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SMB limitations?
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:38:37 -0400
Jim Kyle wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 7, 2010, at 8:45:21 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>

>> If the date on the file is earlier than the previous full,
>> the file will not be backed up.  This is true even if the file did not
>> exist previously.  The most common case for this to happen is when you
>> copy files from one computer to another.  The next full backup will get
>> everything.
>>

> Thanks for the information. This eases my mind about that part of the
> problem, but I still need to find a way to handle the critical system
> directories. Apparently the current version of Samba, unlike some of the
> earlier ones, refuses to open system areas -- or is this a case of Windows
> refusing external access to them, even by members of the Administrators
> group? If it's the latter, perhaps I could use Windows' native backup
> capability to copy the content to a non-system area that Samba could
> access, although that seems like a dreadful kludge and waste of virtual
> disk space...

I'm not sure what the problem is there.  I'm backing up a few WinXP
systems with SMB and I get access denied on a few directories and errors
about open files, but since I'm mainly worried about data, it doesn't
bother me too much.  There has been some talk on the list recently about
using rsync and VSS to get full backups of Windows machines, but I
haven't tried implementing it myself.

Here's a link:

http://geraldbrandt.com/2010/06/08/backuppc-with-sshrsyncvss-on-windows-server

--