BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Questions about backing up windows clients

2010-07-02 18:32:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Questions about backing up windows clients
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:31:05 -0500
> Hello:
> Just starting to use backuppc.
> So far so good.
> I have the linux backup
> server working backing up another linux server. Both are running
> Centos.  Now I want to add a windows (xp)
> client via remote backup.

What do you mean by "remote backup?"

> While looking for this
> information on the web, I find it hard to tell what current
> info and what is dated.  Here are my
> questions:
> 1. I read one recommendation for
> a remote (over the net) backup of a windows client. He suggested
> using cygwin - rsync and ssh to access the
> windows client, it's faster than other
> alternatives, and it is more secure. Is
> this current thinking?

Rsync is probably a much better idea than SMB or tar.
ssh is more secure than, say, no encryption, but not more secure than,
say, a VPN, so I'm not sure what you're comparing it to.

2.If I use this
> approach, who starts the backup running: the client or the backup
> server?

The backup server starts the backup regardless of your approach, as long
as you're using BackupPC.

3.Can anyone recommend a good
> source on how to configure this
> setup?  Thanks.

Sounds like Kosowsky's scripts would be useful to you.  I thought they
were on the wiki (or at least linked to from there) but I couldn't find
them, this is the first place I found them:

http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg16650.html