BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Questions about backing up windows clients

2010-07-02 18:15:37
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Questions about backing up windows clients
From: lchalupa AT seelink DOT org
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:46:58 -0700
Hello:

Just starting to use backuppc. So far so good.

I have the linux backup server working backing up another linux server.  Both are running Centos.

Now I want to add a windows (xp) client via remote backup.

While looking for this information on the web, I find it hard to tell what current info
and what is dated.

Here are my questions:

1.  I read one recommendation for a remote (over the net) backup of a windows client. He suggested using
    cygwin - rsync and ssh to access the windows client, it's faster than other alternatives,
    and it is more secure.  Is this current thinking?

2.  If I use this approach, who starts the backup running: the client or the backup server?

3.  Can anyone recommend a good source on how to configure this setup?

Thanks.

Lee