BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] speed up backups

2010-05-31 12:18:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] speed up backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:16:16 -0500
Ralf Gross wrote:

> the RsyncP man page tells me this:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~cbarratt/File-RsyncP-0.68/lib/File/RsyncP.pm
>
> File::RsyncP does not compute file deltas (ie: it behaves as though
> --whole-file is specified) or implement exclude or include options
> when sending file. File::RsyncP does handle file deltas and exclude
> and include options when receiving files.
>

> Thus no need to try the --whole-file option.

That's when sending files - as in doing a restore.  When doing backups RsyncP
is
on the receiving side and a stock rsync is sending - and will do deltas.
Whether on not it is a win to compute deltas probably depends on the
relationship to available bandwidth and CPU, but it might be worth a try.  I'd
guess --whole-file might generally  be a win on files with random changes but
not on growing logfiles where the deltas are all past the end of the previous
copy.