BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forcing a daily archive (rather than just weekly)

2010-05-19 20:39:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forcing a daily archive (rather than just weekly)
From: Chris Bennett <chris AT ceegeebee DOT com>
To: Colin Yates <colin.yates AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:07:52 +0930
Hi Colin,

> How can I force backuppc to do a daily archive?  I have configured
> an 'archive' host but it is only doing it weekly.  I have tried to
> set the schedule->fullPeriod to 0.97 which hasn't helped.  I have
> also increased the incremental version (which means what in this
> context BTW?) to 6.97 so as it doesn't interfere, but still no joy.
>
> I know I could use cron, but that is problematic as how do I prevent
> an archive being taken whilst another host is being backed up?

I use cron and a ArchivePreUserCmd script to prevent running archives
during backup windows..  E.g. for the customer, it's a backup window
of 8pm -> 7am, but backups can run beyond the window if they are still
running, so the PreUserCmd waits 3-4 hours and gives up if backups
were still running beyond that threshold.  If backups end sometime in
that 3-4 hour window, the archive begins, and data gets written to
tape.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Chris Bennett