BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Thanks!

2010-05-13 20:05:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Thanks!
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:03:46 -0400
I just wanted to thank Craig and the crew who wrote backuppc, since it saved me yet again. The hard drive in my daughter's machine died (and died hard, nothing was recoverable). I was able to throw another hard drive in it, build from a Debian CD and restore in less than 2 hours.

One thing that I thought of when I was doing this (and you can also blame the fact that I have been working a *lot* with cfengine in the last 6 months) was that it would be nice if you could do "groups" or "categories" of directories to back up. Let me explain. In order to save drive space, I back up a subset of the machine, specifically enough to recover from a boot CD and restore from backuppc. I mainly run Debian boxes, so most of the directories in $Conf{RsyncShareName} are the same. /boot, /lib/modules, /var/lib/apt, etc. I do have boxes of other distros (e.g. CentOS, Fedora), and they are going to have a different set of base directories. However, I also find that each platform type has a set of directories, such as /var/www for web servers, /var/lib/mysql for DB servers (I know, thats a bad example, I have a pre-backup script that dbdumps up the db for backups), etc.

Is there a way to set up variables like say ${debian_basedirs}, ${fedora_basedirs} or ${www_dirs} in config.pl, then in each host, set up $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [ ${debian_basedirs}, ${www_dirs} ]; or something similar? Is there a cleaner way to do something similar? That way, say something changes drastically like they move the files in /var/lib/apt to /var/lib/aptitude or something. It would be easier and far more reliable to change it in one place than for each host. (Obviously, perl is not my strong suit...)

Thanks,
--b