BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Assistance with long term snapshots and levels

2010-05-06 18:28:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Assistance with long term snapshots and levels
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:26:38 +0100
On Thursday 06 May 2010 22:17:00 Brian Mathis wrote:
> I'm new to BackupPC and looking to keep long term snapshots.  I've
> been reading through the docs and I think the "levels" concept will do
> what I want it to, but I still have some outstanding questions.

I've just kept a slowly devolving set of fulls:

$Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
$Conf{IncrPeriod} = '0.97';
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ '8', '4', '2', '2' ];
$Conf{IncrLevels} = [ '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6' ];

That will keep 8 weeklies, 4 semi-weeklies, 2 monthlies, and 2 semi-monthlies.
That means my oldest archive will be 40 weeks old.  With pooling, I find I
really can store very long archives going back.  But I rarely need to get a
file exactly 38 weeks old, when 32 or 40 will do.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"One of the Fifth Amendment's basic functions is to protect the innocent
men who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances.