BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Assistance with long term snapshots and levels

2010-05-06 17:18:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Assistance with long term snapshots and levels
From: Brian Mathis <brian.mathis AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:17:00 -0400
I'm new to BackupPC and looking to keep long term snapshots.  I've
been reading through the docs and I think the "levels" concept will do
what I want it to, but I still have some outstanding questions.

I'm looking to use an 84 day cycle where:
- Day 0 is the full backup (level 0)
- Day 7, 14, 21 are incrementals relative to D0 (level 7)
- Day 28 is an incremental to D0 (level 1)
- Day 35, 42, 29 are incrementalss relative to D28 (level 7)
- Day 56 is an incremental to D28 (level 2)
- Day 63, 70, and 77 are incrementals relative to D56 (level 7)
- Day 84 is the next full backup (level 0)
There are no daily incrementals

I think the above example means I need the config:
    FullPeriod = 83.97
    IncrPeriod = 6.97
    IncrLevels = [7, 7, 7, 1, 7, 7, 7, 2, 7, 7, 7]

Am I missing anything in that config?

The next piece is incremental expiration.  I would like to keep at
most six level 7 backups, but keep the level 0, 1, and 2 "forever".  I
only see IncrKeepCnt which seems to be an all-or-nothing expiration
number that doesn't take levels into account.  Is this possible?

I expect each full backup to be large, and I'm hoping that this sort
of scheme will make the best use of disk space and file redundancy,
while keeping a long timeline of snapshots.

Suggestions are welcome.