BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Re: Woe is me

2010-05-03 17:55:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Re: Woe is me
From: John Hudak <jjhudak AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 17:50:31 -0400
Interesting....what tests in bonnie++ did you run?
DB access to a single file?
Create/write/delete small files?
Others?

Just curious, so you beat the disk senseless with bonnie++ for a day, and if the drive does not fail, when put into service, how long does it last (based on your experience)?
How was this one day duration arrived?
(The implication is that if the drive survived the test for one day, you can rule out infant mortality, and expect the disk to last to meet the mfg MTTF?)

I have read several anecdotal articles that concluded USB and FW disks in their own enclosure have a higher probability of infant mortality....unfortunately they weren't tested in a scientific manner....

thanks
-J

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
On 05/03 10:52 , Josh Malone wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve  :)
>
> I've taken to hitting my disks for a few hours with either the IBM/hitachi
> disk-fitness test or seatools before deploying them.

I had a period of time where I bought a bunch of external USB/Firewire
drives, of all different brands; and I found that fully half of them would
die after having bonnie++ run on them for a day or less. this included a
really expensive shock-mounted ultra-high-speed drive.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator