BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Re: Woe is me

2010-05-03 10:55:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Re: Woe is me
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 10:52:33 -0400
On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:39:29 +0100, Dom <d0min00 AT live DOT com> wrote:
> Thanks for the encouragement all, it made me feel a little better. Good
> news though, after rebooting the Coraid disk unit 2 of the 3 failed
> disks came back online so my system is working again. I'll have to
> arrange a replacement on Monday. As it's a brand new system I've not had

> chance to look into the monitoring side and it's so early on in the
> development of this we haven't even got any spares which is on order.
> You don't expect something to fail inside a month or so of getting it.
> Oh well, immediate panic over though my boss isn't going to be happy on
> Monday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve  :)

I've taken to hitting my disks for a few hours with either the IBM/hitachi
disk-fitness test or seatools before deploying them. I have a dedicated box
with a hot-swap sata bare-drive dock for doing it. I need to get a few more
to parallelize my tests.  I typically find 1 a month that fails the test
quickly and I just RMA it.

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.