BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Alternative way to check if Host is alive -- can't use Ping

2010-03-30 15:07:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Alternative way to check if Host is alive -- can't use Ping
From: "John BORIS" <jboris AT adphila DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:05:08 -0400
Thanks.
I will try that as my last resort. Thanks to all that sent their
suggestions. httping looks like it might get me around it But thanks
again to all for the quick reponses.

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

On 3/30/2010 11:31 AM, John BORIS wrote:
> All of the suggestions will work but has anyone setup BackupPC to use
something other than Ping to see if the host is alive? I have telnet
available and someone else suggested httping but the ping command is
used to send a few requests to just test the machine.
> I don't see anything in the BackupPC docs how to setup an
alternative.

See the docs for $Conf{PingPath}.  You could just set it to /bin/true
unless it takes too long for a failed connection to time out when the
host is really down.