BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Alternative way to check if Host is alive -- can't use Ping

2010-03-30 12:25:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Alternative way to check if Host is alive -- can't use Ping
From: Mirco Piccin <pictux AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:22:39 +0200
Hi,

>> In my setup ICMP packets are dropped by the firewall in front of the
>> machine I need to backup. I have been searching for alternatives but
>> haven't found anything yet. Any pointers to a fix? Any other way to let
>> BackupPC know he machine is alive?
>
>What ports are available?
>could something like httping be used as a substitute for /bin/ping?

i remember i use - not with BackupPC - a perl script that allow to probe any host port (both TCP anf UDP ) - and also ping.
It use both Net::Ping and Socket.

The solution could be something like that, or simply a telnet to a specific port and work with output.
Just run nmap to that host to see available port.

Regards