BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backuppc to a new distro (Debian)

2010-03-27 16:01:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backuppc to a new distro (Debian)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: jaco AT oaks.co DOT za, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:58:46 -0500
Jaco Meintjes wrote:
> The time has come for me to migrate my SME Server to Debian 5 to get my
> backup server in line with my other servers now also running Debian 5.
> How do you guys suggest I go about doing this.  My current backup pool
> is about 2.5TB and I can't afford losing that or having to redo all my
> SSH keys and setups...

If you are moving to a new machine, it's really easier to just start over and
keep the old machine/archive around for a while until the new one accumulates
history.  If you copy the original ssh keys to the new server, the public keys
on the targets will still match.  If you are reinstalling the OS on the same
server, just be sure you keep the ssh keys from backuppc, and don't format the
backuppc archive file system.  Different distros put things in different
places,
so be sure you are aware of where all the config files land and where you need
to symlink your archive directory.