BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use ssh-agent on a server without X?

2010-03-18 23:44:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use ssh-agent on a server without X?
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:43:00 +0000
Well, it works

This sets the agent and asks for the key on boot
$ cat /etc/rc.local
su - backuppc -c "exit"

$ cat /home/backuppc/.bash_profile
/usr/bin/keychain -Q -q --nogui /home/backuppc/.ssh/id_rsa
[[ -f /home/backuppc/.keychain/main-sh ]] && source /home/backuppc/.keychain/main-sh

on client.pl
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '/home/backuppc/backuppc.sh $sshPath -q -x -l backuppc $host /usr/bin/sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';

$cat /home/backuppc/backuppc.sh
#!/bin/sh
. /home/backuppc/.keychain/main-sh
$*

/home/backuppc/.keychain/main-sh is created by keychain and it contains something like:
$ cat /home/backuppc/.keychain/main-sh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-swkbQc6157/agent.6157; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK;
SSH_AGENT_PID=6158; export SSH_AGENT_PID;

This works for backing up using passphrase keys using ssh-agent/keychain, and it keeps the agent and keys between your backuppc user sessions.